Monday, January 23, 2006

Sex and the City...

is one of the least redemptive and most addictive shows on television, but I would be lying if I said I have never watched it.

Here is a piece that Lilian Calles Barger wrote when SITC was going off the air back in 2004(another dated article, I know!): http://www.sojo.net/index.cfm?action=magazine.article&issue=soj0408&article=040838

Barger is too generous, I think, when she says, "Through hookups and breakups, Sex and the City explores this fundamental human experience [i.e. that the body is the place where the most profound human desire is exposed]."

In my limited viewing I have not found exploration of deep themes to be a primary concern of the show's writers, and in fact I think the show is profoundly deceptive. I do, however, think Barger is right on in her explanation of the body and its role in our identity.

If you like Lilian as much as I do, you should also check out her excellent book: Eve's Revenge. A good review is here: http://www.ransomfellowship.org/R_Barger.html Rumor has it her second book is going to be released SOON!

No comments: