Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Something about Mary

Well, I may not be a Catholic but I sure like a lot of what their intellectual history has to say about life and embodiment and purpose and vocation. Here is a small excerpt from an article in this month's Touchstone that has been on my mind for a few days. While the article itself is a little too Mary-rific for me, I do think this observation about the uniqueness of women's physiology and our heritage as daughters of Eve and gracegrandchildren of Mary is a thing worth pondering:

Men are often tempted to think that their bodies were made for their own use. To a great extent this is true for everyone: Your hands, sir, are yours, they are for your use, and mine are for my use. A man can indulge this illusion of autonomy even further by supposing that even his genitals are there for himself. They’re a source of at times almost compelling drives and intriguing sensations. Even his testes are useful for him, in that the hormones they produce provide certain secondary sexual characteristics he has an interest in maintaining.

But a woman’s body has all these nooks and crannies which are no use to us but evidently were put there for someone else. Don’t get me wrong: We women have our pleasure doodads and our own hormonal self-interest as well. But then, well, there’s the womb. That’s not there for me. I can do without it. It was obviously put there for someone else. The same is true of mature mammary glands, rich with branching ducts and reservoirs, as they are found in nursing mothers and as they are not found in childless females, however nubile and Partonesque they may be.

Our female bodies are connectors: Inter-connectedness is not just a concept, it’s built into us. This gives us the sense that we find in Mary’s Magnificat, of being, within our own bodies, the living link between past and future: “Behold, all generations will call me Blessed. . . . His mercy is on those who fear him, from generation to generation. . . . As he spoke to our ancestors, to Abraham and to his posterity forever.”

Mary sees ancestors past, and posterity future, linked in the center of her being. Her person—her body, her soul, her faithful heart—is the connector. She who is more spacious than the heavens. This makes autonomy, as an ideal, a poor fit for women. Women have a special gift, even a genius, for bondedness.

1 comment:

Tom Correia said...

Hi Kate,

By accident I entered your blog and I confess that it made feel very curious about you. First of all, why do you have a blog?

I like beer and wine too but my taste is not so sofisticated as yours...(giggle)

See you

Tom